Thursday, February 11, 2010

It's just nice to know...

For those of you who don't know, my daughter, Halle, is adopted. In our family we are big fans of adoption and my husband and I have been discussing starting the process again in hopes of adopting a second baby.

I was really worried, however, as I was last time as well, that because of my CF that we would have difficulty getting approved for adoption. A big part of the application process is a form that needs to be filled out by your doctor discussing health in regards to being able to raise and care for a child. Last time we went through this process my health was a little better and the doctor had no trouble filling out the form. I was worried this time what my new CF doctor would have to say.

Well, I had an appointment today ( by the way, FEV1 72%, which is down from the 79% last time, but I feel pretty good regardless) and the talk with my doctor went really well. It was so nice, after all these weeks of worrying what she would say, to have her be so positive about adopting, or even getting pregnant, if that ever became a reality for us. She said I had every reason to expect that I would be around to raise a child, and that was just really nice to hear. I always try to be positive and hope for the best, but I want to be realistic, too. When I am feeling good I think I am invincible, but every time I get sick, those worries that I might not have as much time as I think I do are always lingering in the back of my mind. So it was nice to have an outside perspective, my doctor nonetheless,to validate that I am not illusioning myself (spell check is saying illusioning is not a word. It might be right...) to think that having another baby isn't a foolish, or worse, a selfish idea.

So, I guess we are officially starting the adoption process again. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

3 comments:

  1. Teresa, good luck with the adoption, let us know how the process goes. new babies are such fun. Halle is getting so big, would love to check out your blog but can't get to it. Anyways hope all is well in Ohio. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, if you get me your email address I would love to send you an invite to my family blog. In the meantime, thanks for checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you adopted & I love that you are trying to start the process again. The best of luck, new friend!

    ReplyDelete